Satellite
  • Day 6

    RofK: Ballycarbery Castle to Killorglin

    June 24, 2019 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    From the Staigue Stone Fort, we retraced our way back to the Ring of Kerry. By this time, the sun was hiding behind the clouds more than seeking a way out.

    Continuing on our way, we made another short detour to the “atmospheric ruins of Ballycarbery Castle” — as our Lonely Planet guidebook described them.

    Though there’s been a residence of one kind or another at this site since the 13th century, the ruins of the tower house we saw date back to the mid-16th century. I was disappointed to see that visitors are no longer allowed to wander the ruins or the grounds ... especially because the especially atmospheric side is on the side exposed to the Atlantic.

    We considered walking down to a cove on the River Ferda Estuary for another vantage point, but not only was the ground soggy and the mud sticky, there was no easy path. So, we gave up, took our photos, and got back on the road.

    When we came to one of the few pullouts along the ring road, we pulled over to sit on the stone wall and enjoy the views of the Atlantic. Had we any snacks with us, this would have been a good spot for an al fresco lunch. Alas, we didn’t. So onward we drove towards Killorglin.
    Read more