Satellite
  • Day 9

    Harry Clarke’s Stained Glass Windows

    June 27, 2019 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    Harry Clarke is a Dublin-born stained glass artist who was lost to the world in 1931 ... at the young age of 42. He is described as ... “Ireland’s major Symbolist Artist whether in his illustrations or in his stained glass.”

    I’d heard his name before, but didn’t recall seeing any of his art. So, when I read that there are six twin lancet windows that he designed in a chapel in Dingle, we made a point of checking them out before leaving town.

    The Díseart Chapel — or more appropriately, the Chapel of the Sacred Heart — is on the third floor of the former Convent of the Presentation Sisters. The docent who admitted us to the building, warned us that the stained glass in the sanctuary was mass-produced in Germany and that we would immediately notice the difference once we saw the Harry Clarke windows above the choir stalls.

    She was right. I was so enthralled with the Clarke windows that I didn’t even take any photos of the ones in the apse. Not sure how to describe these amazing works of art ... faces more animated with large, expressive eyes ... exquisite and fine detail work ... more organic somehow ... definitely more artisanal with rich colors that catch the light.

    The Mother Superior who commissioned the 12 windows that illustrate the life of Christ from his birth to his resurrection, shelled out £1,000 back then. A princely sum in 1922, I’m sure. Now these windows are priceless.
    Read more