Satellite
  • Day 5

    End the Day in Mosier, Oregon

    May 7, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 52 °F

    The wind came along with us all the way to our destination for tonight ... Memaloose State Park, just off I-84 ... in Mosier. And boy did it blow. The windshield wipers were dancing in their prone position. The Columbia River was decorated with whitecaps and the windmills on the ridges were twirling like crazy.

    Wanting to get off the road as quickly as possible, we didn’t dally after our lunch stop.

    I’d originally planned for us to boondock along the Columbia Gorge. Now, I’m glad I made reservations at Memaloose for tonight. It would have been miserable camping with all that wind shimmying and shaking the Cruiser as it sat in the open along the river.

    We’ve stayed here once before. Had a lovely, quiet site in the B loop then. This time I had to settle for an A-loop site — #04 ... one of only two sites available when I went online for a reservation. It’s a 30A FHU ... plenty of green grass between us and our neighbors. A lovely spot ... except for the noise from the highway. You see, we abut right up against the highway, which passes just above us. Oh well ... it’s for one night only. And perhaps the weekend traffic will eventually die down.

    We arrived at the park to sunshine and slightly calmer winds. Moments later, as Mui was unhooking the toad so he could back the RV into the site, it started raining. Of course, it did! No sooner was he finished hooking up the utilities, the rain stopped. Of course, it did!

    And that’s been the story since our arrival. On and off rain showers — true liquid sunshine — with the sun peeking out from behind the rain clouds to decorate the blue sky and give us some relief.

    Our plans to meet up with friends for dinner in Kirkland, Washington have fallen through. So, we have no reason to hurry-up and leave our site tomorrow ... which will be our last day on the road.
    Read more