Satellite
  • Day 91

    Day 91 Ends w/One Last Schnitzel

    August 1, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    Woke up to cooler temps on this last day in Leavenworth … higher humidity … what looked like rain mist, but was actually smoke haze … and an unhealthy air quality index.

    Since my throat was already scratchy from all the smoke, we decided to bag the stroll we’d planned at the riverfront park and stayed home instead. Shortly before 11:00a, we hopped in the car to go into town for one last schnitzel at Andreas Keller before our departure tomorrow.

    On the way, we stopped at a couple of hotel/resort properties that had some nice murals I wanted to photograph. We arrived at the restaurant just five minutes before the restaurant opened … two couples ahead of us … minutes later, the line behind us reaching up the stairs.

    The hostess accommodated our request to be seated in one of the barrel booths … in fact, she put us in the same one we had the first time we were there. This time, Mui joined me in ordering a Helles, a light lager. I once again ordered the classic schnitzel, but Mui opted for the Schnitzel Cordon Bleu … which was stuffed with smoked pork and Swiss cheese … topped with a creamy sauce … the side was spaetzle instead of German potato salad. All delicious.

    Instead of dessert at Andreas Keller, we walked across the street for one last cone from Whistlepunk … we both got the Blackberry Fool flavor (blackberry sorbet folded into vanilla), agreeing that it was the best.

    On the way home, we made a quick stop at Safeway to pick up some Cosmic Crisp apples … first grown by Washington State University … the dream apple with the perfect flavor and texture balance. We agree with that description. We now have enough to last us through the end of our road trip.

    Both the Cruiser and toad have arrived in the Port of Tacoma. Tomorrow we leave Leavenworth to be reunited with our vehicles.
    Read more