Satellite
  • DETECTED!

    May 15, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    If you were wondering why there were no footprints from our Denver getaway with the Phoenix Cruise, wonder no more. The trip didn't happen!

    Mui and I both tested positive for COVID-19. Yup ... after managing to avoid the dreaded virus for two years, we fell victim to the Omicron variant ... likely to the latest version of the variant as that is the one most prevalent at the moment. And also the most contagious.

    Where and how we were infected is impossible to track down. We are vaxed and boosted, and masked up indoors and in crowded places throughout our overseas trip. We also tested negative on Sunday in order to fly back to the USA on Monday. Since symptoms can take anywhere from 2-12 days to show up, I guess we will be left wondering about the source of the infection.

    The short story is that I tested positive Wednesday night with a home antigen kit ... and again Thursday morning. Mui was negative both times. We went to the UC Health lab and had PCR tests done Thursday. Friday afternoon we got the results ... "DETECTED" ... for both of us.

    We're both feeling fine. Mui was a bit sluggish and slept most of Thursday, but had his energy back by the next day. Other than that, our symptoms are not unlike that of a cold ... a very mild cold at that. We seem to be improving daily.

    The takeaway from our virtual doc consult is to quarantine for five days, and if we are feeling better, we can break quarantine provided we mask up. If we are not feeling better, we continue to quarantine for another five days. After that, we're in the clear. No testing is needed. In fact, the doctor said not to do a PCR test because even though we'll no longer be contagious, the test may show us positive for weeks to come. We'll probably break out a home antigen kit for our own peace of mind, though.

    So, what have we been doing since testing positive? Making plans for other RV getaways and polishing plans for our fall road trip. That means that eventually footprints will begin showing up.
    Read more