Satellite
  • Day 28

    Building Bridges..

    October 24, 2016 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 9 °C

    Have you ever tried to build a bridge? Ever wondered what might create the strongest bridge? What does it take to build a bridge that might last hundreds or ever over a thousand years? What stories surround a particular bridge and what do bridges symbolise in our own life's journey?

    I have walked over and marvelled at many bridges on this Camino, bridges from Roman times and Medieval times, however, today's walking experience prompted this reflection.

    We finished the day in a place called Hospital de Orbigo. It has the longest bridge on the Camino over the River Orbigo and its flood plain. It connects both sides of the town. It is a 13th Century bridge built over an original Roman bridge and one of the best preserved in Spain. See first and second pic.

    The story of the bridge goes like this: Built in the Holy Year of 1434, a noble knight from Leon, Don Sueto de Quinones, scorned by a beautiful lady, challenged any knight to pass and undertook to defend the bridge and also his honour. Knights from all over Europe took up the challenge, Don Suero successfully defended the bridge.. and presumably his honour, for a month until the required 300 lances had been broken. He and his companions then set off to Santiago to offer thanks for his freedom from the bonds of love and for his honour now restored!

    This town also witnessed the battle in 452 between the Visigoths and the Swabians, battles between the Medieval Christian forces and the Moors, as well as being a major trade route across the bridge since Roman times, especially in livestock.

    On the far side of the bridge, dating back to the Knights, the ancient order of St John Calleberos Hospitaleros set up and maintained a pilgrim hospital there- hence the naming of the town which developed as a result.

    Due to the history of Knighthood here, there is a Jousting tournament each year, which takes place in the arena set up by the bridge. See if you can spot it in the first pic! How's that for a bridge over a river story!

    Secondly, another remarkable bridge we encountered on the Camino in the first ten days, was at a place called Puente la Reina. See third pic.

    This bridge was significant because it was built primarily to provide safe access to the other side of the river for pilgrims on their way to Santiago. Before the bridge was built, unscrupulous river men would promise a pilgrim safe passage by boat. Once halfway across, the unsuspecting pilgrim would be robbed of any value they possessed and thrown overboard to be drowned. Very few pilgrims made it across. The bridge was obviously much needed then!!

    This bridge or Puente is extremely high and remarkably steep. As I observed from below, it's pylons are built to resist flood, featuring an ingenious arched recess to relieve the pressure of high water on the arch of the bridge, whilst being aesthetically pleasing too! From above as you cross the bridge, with every step, the long view of the landscape rises and gives a sense of perspective of how far and where you've come from, but also of freedom as the bridge descends and delivers you safely to the other side, ready to resume the journey ahead.

    So what does a bridge symbolise for us in our life journey? Perhaps a safe passage, a place to stop and take the long view, a change in perspective. Might the experiences which carry us from one learning to another be a bridge too?

    There are also people in our lives that provide bridges for us- our family, friends, those who walk with us.
    These people can teach us that the experience of reconciliation, justice and peace is about bridgemaking. As we grow, we can become bridges to love, peace and justice for others and the world.
    We are a pilgrim people walking our life's journey together, creating bridges for each other and encouraged to live by the message of the gospel.

    St Ignatius Loyola walked across many bridges in his life. He, like our own St Mary MacKillop became a bridge for others, inspired by their relationship with Jesus and the message of the gospel.
    They point us to Jesus, who assures us ' I am the Way, the Truth and the Life ' Jn 14:6

    Might Jesus also be 'the Bridge' too?

    What's your experience of bridges and bridge building?
    Read more