Satellite
  • Day 20

    18th day - sail no 3 gone

    December 5, 2018, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    We see another sailboat on the horizon. Must be number 4. it is so lonely out here.

    The wind lets us down. So we decide we need a larger sail. So not to destroy the damaged mainsail more, we take it down and replace it with sail number 4. a really old but hopefully more robust sail. Should be easy peasy in the light 💡 winds. Just as we try to put the new sail up - which is quite a job with this rollreef constiction - a rainfront hits us out of nowhere and with some windgusts that make the sail shatter like a Harley without exaust. A simple job moves into a sweatdripping fight as the wind tries to steal away the sail. Me and Urs on the mast. I need to keep the sail in line. The rest on the winches trying tonwinch the sail up and also trying to hear our commands in the noise. Finally its up and running.

    Will it get us to martinique or wirhin the 400 mile range where we can use the engine.

    Usually we woud run the engine for an hour a day to cool the fridge and for extra elictricity. But we‘ve stopped doing that in case we lose our last sail too. The fridge is actually warmer than the outside.
    Read more