Satellite
  • Day 33

    Bus-ted

    March 15, 2019 in Panama ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    The journey actually went like clockwork but my poor butt ached by the end of the day.
    My BnB hosts had my empanada breakfast ready earlier than usual so that I could make the 9:00 bus from Boquete to David. In fact I made the 8:30 bus allowing me to make the 10:00 bus from David to Panama City.
    I was amazed that the road between Boquete and David was smooth 4 lane asphalt all the way. The same was true of the entire 7 hour trip onward to Panama City. The speed limit was 80 km/hr and both busses did not exceed it. The first bus was an up-to-date comfy coach but the long distance double decker bus to Panama City was a brand new giant with “attendant” offering food for purchase. Imagine Air Canada +.
    All the way south from David we drove along in the blazing sun with mountains in the distance on our left covered by a solid blanket of cloud.
    Just after 1:00 the bus wheeled into a cafeteria where many passengers bought lunch, visited the banos and stretched their legs. It was our only stop.
    Within 50 km of Panama City the highway turned into 6 lanes and we crossed the Panama Canal with a view of the city’s modern skyline in the background.
    Upon leaving the highway at 5:30 pm we ran into the Friday rush hour and crawled the rest of the way to the main bus terminal.

    I decided that after so much time on those 2 busses and uncertain of the local transportation I would take a taxi to the hotel.
    Steeling myself for taxi negotiations, I strode confidently up to the row of waiting taxis outside the bus station. The first guy wanted $20. I offered $5. He laughed and I walked on to the next group of taxis confident that I was zeroing in on a reasonable fare. The next guy asked for $12. I told him “$10 and we have a deal.” And he agreed.

    The hotel turned out to be only 4 km from the bus terminal but the traffic was so bad that it took over a half an hour to cover that ground. It was after 7:30 pm when I finally checked into my room.

    What a long day!
    Read more