Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Festival frenzy in Montreal

    July 30, 2016 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Arrived to a hot and sunny Montreal, and decided it would be a great idea to undertake the 2km journey to the hotel on foot...with all our kit. We arrived earlier than check-in and so took a dip in the penthouse pool (which sounds fancier than it is!) and dried off in the sunshine on the roof until the room was ready. The room was a pleasing surprise, being about the same size as our whole downstairs at home!

    Wandering out into the streets of the city, we found Montreal to be in full festival season. The annual Osheaga music festical ensured almost every hotel in thr city was booked up. We instead visited the Just For Laughs comedy festival, which packed the streets with stages, stalls and people; sadly all sold out for the shows but the festival area and atmosphere was buzzing. Walking into Montreal old town, we were given an amazing tour of Notre Dame followed by an impromptu organ concert from their 42 year veteran organist on their 7000 pipe organ.

    Now, we're sat on the waterfront in the Old Port as tonight sees the end of a firework competition. Tonight's entry is 'A Tribute to Elton John' by the USA...given the title and country we're expecting a big, flamboyant and colourful display. Until then, we have an hour's wait so Ben is playing with his new lens and tripod in anticipation.
    Read more