Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Big Trout Day 2

    August 25, 2016 in Canada ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    Smores went down a great last night, despite getting marshmallow everywhere and subsequent concern that this might make us bear attractants!

    A lazier start this morning knowing we didn't have to take down the camp. A breakfast of "hash browns" apparently...which when dehydrated were rather more like small chips than anything else.

    We were heading out east on the lake today, to the marshy areas in hopes of seeing some wildlife. After paddling a few hours, seeing birds and frogs, we headed back to camp, against the sodding wind. It was a hard paddle along the north shore before crossing back to camp for a late lunch, thoroughly knackered!

    Post lunch, we toyed with more canoeing but opted instead for some swimming, first of all out of the canoe. Ben's first jump in submerged the entire canoe...swim to shore, empty and reset. Take two was much more successful and we had a happy paddle in the middle of the lake.

    The day was marred however by one thing - sunburn. Despite sunscreening up, and managing to avoid sunburn for four and a half weeks, my legs got caught on the canoe back and it really showed up in the evening. It looked worse than it was but my knees were a little warm.

    I went for a post dinner swim to cool my legs and Ben for a solo paddle. The water was so fabulous that we ended up out for about an hour. We were the treated to a beautiful sunset over the lake to round off the day.
    Read more