Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Dinner at La Valeriana

    April 6, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    After meeting our tour group, we walked to the G Adventures office and briefed on the coming days, which was all very exciting. We were issued with duffle bags in which we are allowed just 6kg to take with us which must include our sleeping bag and roll mat. Thankfully, these kit bags will be carried for us on the hike!

    Afterwards, in the Plaza de Armes, we were treated to a display of local dancing. It appeared to be a rehearsal of some kind but nonetheless impressive. Some of the costumes were beautifully coloured and set against the brooding sky and impressive historic buildings, it made for a brilliant occasion.

    To round off the busy day, we headed to La Valeriana, a fairly European style coffee house. The kind and friendly waitress attempted to school my pronunciation of the Peruvian empanadas that we order, alas somewhat in vain. We tried the lomo saltado (salted beef) and aji de galliano (spicy chicken empanadas) along with an - almost expected by now - cacao tea. The ambience and lovely food was a relaxing end to the day, and we headed, somewhat lethargically, back to the hotel to prepare for the trek ahead.
    Read more