Satellite
  • Day 12

    El Capitan and the River Merced

    July 26, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    We carried on around the one way loop, enjoying views of El Capitan, Half Dome and Cathedral Spires amongst the beautiful trees and wildlife. After battling for a parking space, we popped into the Village Store to buy some sandwiches for lunch, before going to the Visitors Center, and learning about the managed wildfires necessary to the protection of this, the oldest, national park. We ate lunch in these beautiful surroundings before carrying on to the El Capitan turnout.

    From this short trail, we were afforded amazing views of the sheer granite face of El Capitan as well as access to the River Merced and views up the valley. From here, there was no sound of traffic or indeed other people, having this spectacular spot all to ourselves. The water was rather chilly but I still enjoyed a splodge around!

    Back through the tunnels out of the valley, we stopped to get a birds-eye view of the park, and found some more waterfalls on which we had a scramble. I would have loved more time here, a few nights at least rather than four hours. It definitely is one of my favourite national parks.
    Read more