Satellite
  • Day 5

    Heraklion

    April 12, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Wanting to see the Archaeological Museum, we headed into Heraklion for the morning. Our rental agent assured us there was little to see in Heraklion so our general expectations were low.

    Parking up at the port, we wandered to the Museum for opening and again manage to miss the tourist groups. The Museum itself was fantastic - well laid out with great exhibits and useful information. The Phaistos disc was here, the sarcophagus from the Agia Triada and the original frescos from Knossis, amongst other brilliant treasures dating back to 2000 b.c. It also had a fascinating display on the attenmpts to recover artefacts looted during the Second World War.

    We wandered into town to see the Venetian Morosini Fountain and found a fan third-floor cafe overlooking the square for a coffee break. As we headed down the main street last the shops, we stopped at the Agios Titas church, adorned by beautiful stained glass and now containing the skull relic of St. Titas. Everywhere around this square, the Venetian influence was not only evident but hugely prominent. There are parts of the town that are so reminiscent of Venice it is uncanny.

    The main street also had a branch of Athens Prostasis, a cracking, unique little jewellers that I spent some cash in before we walked back towards the port to visit the Koules Fortress, a steal at just €2 entry for this large and informative museum.

    Not entirely sure why our rental chap advised us to miss this...a fabulous day out!
    Read more