Satellite
  • Day 18

    A longer than expected drive to Sydney

    July 24, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    When we departed Canberra, the morning temperature was little more generous, so at least the car wasn't frosted. We drove to the Canberra Deep Space Communication Project - a series of huge dishes hidden in the forests and valleys southwest of Canberra which relayed the first images of Neil Armstrong on the moon...Ben was in his element. The route wound through wilderness preserves and a good number of 'roos made for a nerve-wracking drive, especially having seen a couple of huge kangaroos bouncing across the road early on in the 25km drive.

    Rather than motorwaying to Sydney, we headed east to Nowra, planning to pick up the Grand Pacific Drive. On the way, we made a brief stop at the Tianjana Falls (sadly dry) whilst driving through cast forests and winding country lanes. At Nowra, we broke for cake, before picking up the coastal highway only to be immediately thwarted by road closures. At Kiama, we stopped to take in the 'Kiama Blowhole'. This rock formation means that when the sea rushes in it sprays upwards, like a whale. A mildly amusing but brief stop! The whole day's detours easily doubled the journey time compared to taking the motorway, but was far more interesting.

    Ben bravely drove the stint into Sydney and we drove in via Mrs Macquarie's Chair to get our first glimpse of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House, which looked fantastic in the sunset. The hotel was phenomenally just minutes away from the Opera House (thanks to the VSC reciprocal membership!) and the dining room has views of both the bridge and Opera House. After parking up, we headed into Circular Quay to round off the day and managed to find, almost by accident, the three oldest pubs in Sydney. Easily the best was the Lord Nelson which not only brewed a great array of beers on site, also served a fabulous ploughman's for Ben.
    Read more