Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Diamond Head Beach

    July 30, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    After breakfast in the tent, we retraced some of route from yesterday and left for Port Macquarie through Forster. A brief detour on the drive through Tall Woods village (one of the many housing estates which seem to have great views but few, if any, amenties), we detoured again into a national park and onto Diamond Head Beach. Much like the other beaches we've visited, we had seemingly miles of coast and golden sand entirely to ourselves, so we once again took the opportunity for a swim. The undertow was stronger here but aided by the fact the sea was very shallow for ages. At waist depth, the swell would rise to head height meaning there was little opportunity to get used to the water temperature gradually!

    In the way into 'Port' we passed some camels and lots of beach before pulling up to what looked like a suburban house. In fact we were staying in the equivalent of a granny-annex, beautifully decorated and just a five minute walk from the beach. Ed, the owner, was hugely welcoming and could talk for England! We promptly availed ourselves of the nearby beach with a little bit more rockpooling.

    Driving into the main town, it appears Monday is the town closure day for Port Macquarie with only a few shops and restaurants open. We had a bimble through what was open before driving to Settlement Point for the sunset. Failing to find a pub serving any beers we hadn't tried, a drove to the Tacking Point Tavern out of town for a quick drink and a Domino's order before returning to the Beach Serai to watch a bit more Australian Ninja Warrior.
    Read more