Satellite
  • Day 29

    Brisbane in the sunshine

    August 4, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    On a hot morning, of what was to become a hugely hot day, we ferried to Teneriffe to meet D for breakfast. A beautiful riverside walk along the old wool factories to the Powerhouse where a farmers' market offered a choice of food - we opted for juice and bratwurst on the lawn!

    Once it became too hot outside, we headed into the Powerhouse; the exhibit we had been going to see had ended so we had beers on the riverbank instead. The plan was to get a ferry back, however the stop here was being renovated and therefore was closed, so instead we walked back (in the shade where possible!). D joined us for some of the walk before we bid her farewell and walked into Fortitude Valley.

    Here, an unusual water feature caught my eye. On the first and second floor of a warehouse-looking building a huge window had water running down it. We popped into the bar to which this belonged. Inside the bar - called Cloudland - the room was filled with greenery, cool bar fittings and noise from the water running down the window. We grabbed a beer and sat first on the balcony by the water, not realised the roof above us, well, wasn't a roof! We looked up to open sky, clearly a benefit of the hot Brisbane winter. Our second beer we had downstairs in the swinging seats enjoying the unusual but brilliant bar. The toilets were equally wacky, and quite trippy, with the ladies full of so many mirrors that finding the stall was a trial and error...It felt somewhat like being Alice in Wonderland!

    A walk from here back to the CBD where we did a little shopping and happy hour drinking before grabbing a sushi dinner and heading back to the hotel for our last night in Brisbane.
    Read more