Satellite
  • Day 1

    Vancouver by foot

    July 16, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    After a 9 hour flight from Gatwick, we landed into a hot and sweaty Vancouver. The metro from the airport to our hotel was dead simple, and mercifully our hotel allowed us to check in when we arrived at 1pm, a full three hours before check in time, so we could dump our kit and shower. Before heading into town, we partook in the hotel bars "power hour", enjoying a couple of pints for $4. Suitably refreshed, we headed into town to suss out Vancouver.

    We walked along the main east-west drag towards Stanley Park, before looping on to the picturesque harbour with sweeping mountains and million-dollar yachts. Just off the front, a crowd was watching a film crew - apparently the 5th series of Supergirl was being filmed, so we stayed to watch the brief scene. Continuing on foot to downtown proper, after a cheeky Tim Horton's, we watched a wacky Harry Potter tribute band outside the public library and wandered the shops.

    Finally, we headed into the Gaslight district and Chinatown, stopping by the steam powered clock and fabulously tacky souvenir shops. We passed the statue of the founder of Vancouver, 'Gassy Jack', and the Chinatown gate on the way back, as well as a striking and saddening street crowded with homeless people.
    Read more