Satellite
  • Day 4

    Castillo San Felipe de Barajas Cartegena

    December 20, 2019 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    The departure from Santa Marta was sedate, as was the rest of the evening. However Cartagena beckoned in the morning.

    An early start to beat the breakfast rush, we ate and packed for the day before heading on deck for the sail in which was spectacular. Having to navigate around islands before coming into port in Cartegena gave us views over the new high rises and the old town alike, sat side by side in glorious sunshine.

    The port is unique in having a mini zoo at the entrance and we were treated to a plethora of birds as we headed for the taxi rank. A lovely chap named Manuel was our taxi driver and gave us an excellent running tour of Cartegena as we headed in to the Old Town. From the drop off at the clock tower, we headed back to a few photo stops he pointed out on our drive. The coloured and graffitied houses of Getsemani were lively and exciting, as was much of the vibe of the city.

    Whilst we mostly stuck to the shade, the walk out of the Old Town to the San Felipe fort was unshaded and the heat was already sweltering at 10am. The fort itself was massive, full of tunnels to explore that were designed to carry sound so intruders could be detected. Building began in the mid-17th Century and it was never taken...although whether that is due to the impressive fortifications or the unbelievable heat that just leads you to needing a long sit down is up for debate!

    The views from the castle over the city were incredible, as we sheltered under a pagoda and indulged in a bit of free wifi! After wandering in and out of tunnels, and up and down endless stairs, we trekked down the fort and back towards the Old Town.
    Read more