Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Busselton WA

    March 21, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Wadandi Boodja.
    The Wadandi people are the traditional owners of the South West of Western Australia. The name means Saltwater People's Country.

    We arrived in the waters of Geograph Bay, Busselton around 8am this morning after five sea days. After a light breakfast we waited patiently to be called in groups to board our ship's Tender boats.

    It is a beautiful day, around 30deg, without the humidity of the Northern Territory. We were greeted by the towns Volunteers eager to provide maps & suggestions for those without booked tours.

    Busselton has a 1.84km long timber piled Jetty, the longest in the Southern Hemisphere. It is run by 100 volunteers with an underwater observatory and Reef trail with unique sculptures. Unfortunately due to the volume of people & time constraints, this wasn't an option today. The underwater observatory descends some 8 metres below the surface to view some 300 different marine species, tropical & subtropical corals & sponges.

    We took the Busselton Heritage Trail around the town starting at the Jetty along the main street to visit the old Railway House, ArtGeo Gallery Old Courthouse, the Settlement Art Sculptures, St Mary's Church & Old Butter Factory.

    The town was buzzing with some 3000 people eager to spend some money in this lovely seaside town. The day before the Queen Mary 2 had been in the Bay, shops not usually open on a Mon or Tuesday opened to cater for the visitors.

    A really enjoyable visit to this pretty area of WA.
    Read more