Satellite
  • Day 56

    So It Just Got Interesting!

    July 12, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Remember in our last post we said “Stay tuned Folks this is going to be interesting” ??? Well it just did.

    Do you remember that tire that went flat coming down the Dempster? Well today, between Carmacks and Pelly Crossing, it flew off the truck! Yup, I know, I watched it go at 13:00hrs. Off into the woods it went. Wheee!

    A huge shout out to Pat Hogan with Yukon Highway and Public Works and his entire crew who were working exactly where the wheel came off. They stopped the road work they were doing, helped us stow our trailer off the highway and then helped move Ted the truck off to the side and in a position for recovery. They also put their heads together, gave us suggestions and then provided us with a ride back to Carmacks so we could use our cell phone to call CAA and arrange recovery.

    Second shout out to Sharon and Gary at the Carmacks Post Office who put up with us for the afternoon, allowed us to charge said cell phone, and generally hang out until the tow truck arrived a few hours later at around 18:00hrs.

    Third shout out to Mike Brown from Pelly Crossing who recovered the truck from the side of the road, then recovered us, and drove us back to Whitehorse.

    Honourable mention goes out to NAPA Auto Parts and the local Ford dealer who between them had the right parts in stock and have set them aside for us.

    Everyone, and we mean everyone we have met today was super friendly, super helpful, super reassuring and a few even tracked us down (after their work day) to see how we were making out.

    We are very lucky, all that has happened is that we have been inconvenienced. So many things could have happened differently. We are holed up in a hotel (conveniently next to the garage) waiting to see when the repairs can take place. Thanks here goes to some anonymous traveller who cancelled his reservation at Skky Hotel in Whitehorse just when we needed a room. The garage owner is not making any guarantees but will try to fit us in tomorrow so we can be on our way again. Again super friendly and super helpful.

    Kyle might not make it to work for 9:00 Monday morning. As I said before, stay tuned for more details...
    Read more