Satellite
  • Day 9

    Road to Finland

    September 21, 2016 in England ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    I am rather annoyed with myself, because this is the second time that I am writing this post. I wasn't paying attention to the power level on the tablet, and it shutdown before I had a chance to save. It has been a while since I suffered this particular issue, but we all need a reminder of these things from time to time.

    CTRL + S everyone, CTRL + S.

    And now to what you came here to read...

    We started the day in Chateau Swindon, (not its real name) after a very pleasant evening the night before. One thing that you might not have guessed about Swindon, is that it has a lot of Japanese tourists (locals, please tell us all why in the comment section below), which meant that there were all manner of Japanese options for the breakfast buffet. And by all manner, I mean three. Plain boiled rice, miso soup, and a soya bean monstrocity served in a styrofoam container. Chateau Swindon, was just a bit too Swindon in its Japanese options.

    After leaving the hotel we stopped for a quick look at the church next door, which was built in the 800's during the time of Alfred the Great, and has seen the invasion of the Nomans, the fall and restoration of the monarchy, and two world wars. Not bad for a nameless church in the middle of nowhere, with a current congregation of 30 aging souls. The congregation has got so small, I think they are divertising for new recruits on ChristianMingle.com.

    Then it was on to Oxford, to drop of Brad and Lynn, before a short run to Gatwick Airport, to drop off the car, and check in to our hotel, for the final night of our stay in the UK. Crawley, where we were staying next to Gatwick, is not exactly the same bustling cosmopolitan metrolopis that London was, but it did provide an acceptable, if expensive, curry for dinner. There was also time for a trip to Asda, to really soak in the local wildlife, which we can confirm is human, if a bit different from others that you may have encountered in your local vicinity.

    There wasn't much left to do after Asda, but head back to hotel and continue the party. Like every good Def Leppard concert after-party, it had champagne, white powder, and lacy underwear in a hotel sink. Unfortunately for us, the white powder was to wash my unmentionables in the hotel sink. At least the champagne was real. Party on Wayne.

    We thought that there would be a moment this night, where the full realisation of our move would sink in, but it didn't come. Perhaps tomorrow it will arrive. Perhaps three months of travel, means that the full effect isn't going to arrive at all. Stay tuned folks, and I am sure you'l find out when we do.
    Read more