Satellite
  • Day 10

    First night in Finnyland

    September 22, 2016 in Finland ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    This morning was our last morning in the UK. If we started with a hint of regret at our decision to leave, it quickly evaporated as we navigated London, its inhabitants, and its institutions, one last time.

    Whether the angry ramblings of a man at the train station in the morning, forcing his way to the front of ticket machine queue; ill-tempered and mal-adjusted train passngers on the short train ride from Crawley to Gatwick Airport; or the staff at Gatwick airport misdirecting the boarding of our plane, with people for at the front getting on at the back at vice versa. If we are to have any take away from London in particular, and the UK in general, it is the gross inefficiencies that exist. Those inefficiencies allowed us to live a very comfortable and fortunate life, but at the expense of many others, considerably less fortunate than ourselves. With comments like that I feel compelled to add: Vote Labour, Vote Jeremy Corbyn. Not my personal choice, but don't let me stop any of you.

    The flight with Norwegian was uneventful, and featured the wonder that is inflight wifi for free. To all the other airlines out there charging for this particular service, at the same rates as operating a mobile phone in the 1980's, this is what your customers want.

    As soon as we arrived in Helsinki, we picked up our car and headed for Tampere. The only issue with the car being the minor panic that set in when Courtney couldn't find her driver's license. It was found, in Jamie's wallet, the most obvious place.

    Once Courtney got used to driving on the other side of the road again, The drive from Helsinki to Tampere, represented a reasonably uneventful two and a half hours. There were cars, trucks, and lots and lots of lakes and pine trees. The latter two being the symbols of Finland. On arrival in Tampere, it was time to get some dinner, which involved a trek across town, 25 mins at most, to a wee Malayasian restaurant, tucked away in a residential area. Finnish cuisine, doesn't offer the greatest options to your average vegetarian, so we went for what amounted to the easiest option at the time. We were both tired.

    Easy or not, the food was very delicious, if a bit expensive to the unitiated. Think London prices, and then add a wee bit more. And then there was a lovely walk back through town to our hotel. Check the photos. Tampere looks very cool, and its a shame we won't get to spend more time here.

    FYI Tampere is the Manchester of Finland. The most obvious similarity being the enormous number of Victorian era factories, making use of the fast flowing water. Tampere is otherwise a very cultured town, with cultural options abound, from operas to museums to fine dining.

    Also, the gravity of leaving London has yet to sink in. The beauty of FInland, from what we have seen already certainly has though.
    Read more