Satellite
  • Day 21

    Moscow: Part Deux

    October 3, 2016 in Russia ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Day two in Moscow began with a stroll from the hotel, via a rather circuitous route, to the centre of Moscow.

    On the way we wandered through the wide, green , and seemingly forested central reservations of various avenues, until we hit the Moskva River. As we walked through though these central reservations, we passed through innumerable art installations, celebrating the life, times, and culture of Moscow. Sometimes, it was the natural beauty of wooden arches, woven with wisteria, geraniums, and roses. Sometimes it was billboards of photographs, illustrating the industry of the area. Sometimes it was trampolines and jungle gyms for children to get active, and make use of the green space within the city.

    As we walked through all these things put on by the government for its citiziens, we viewed it with some wonder. Having lived in New Zealand, and lived in London, it is inconcievable, that such things would be provided by a government for its citizens. The resources made available, and free of charge, put to shame those made available for free in many other parts of the world.

    Having made it through our conversation on the political analysis of government provision of cultural activities to the citizenry, we made it to the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, one of the many chruches/cathedrals, dotting the Moskow landscape. Truth be told, the vast number of incredibly grand religious buildings that we have come across in our travels so far, have almost got us to the point of Christian cultural saturation. We just aren't able to appreciate the beauty and significance to the degree that we should.

    After the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, we wandered along the river, passed the Kremlin, to Red Square. Unfortunately, there was no spectacular Soviet-era military parade to be seen, or even something ever-so-slightly more cultural. That being said, Red Square was thronging with people, watching the changing of the guard, viewing Lenin's mausoleum, and over course, St Basil's Cathedral.

    Also encountered on our self-directed walking tour of Moscow: the Bolshoi Theatre, the headquarters of the former KGB, and the Moscow Opereta. The late afternoon, and early evening were spent nibbling some tasty Russian treats, and indulging in some more Georgian wine. We then headed out for dinner at a restaruant local to our hotel, before Courtney got too hangry, and hulked out. Dinner was delicious; Courtney did hulk out, but recovered; and we enjoyed a further Sunday evening stroll.

    Nothing exciting to report today. The photos provide the strongest narrative.
    Read more