Satellite
  • Day 41

    Lago Titicaca

    November 15, 2017 in Peru ⋅ 🌙 6 °C

    We woke up really late today, at 6:00 (haha). We went by boat over the lake, just a small part though, cause this lake is huge.

    Lake Titicaca is the biggest lake of South America and the highest lake of the world. The lake is 3800 meters high. It is on the border of Bolivia and a small part of this lake is in Bolivia. The capital of the region is Puno.

    We visited the floating islands. To create this islands the local use the roots of Acha (kind of big and strong grass) and tight them together with natural ropes. Every 15 days they need to put a extra layer of Acha so it stays in good condition. Their houses and boats are made of the same material. They do not speak Spanish but Aymara here. This families live really primitive and work in communities. They catch fish and trade it in the land for potatoes and corn. In each island can live up to 6 families. The community in total consists of 120 islands and 1000 persons.

    We also visit another island a the lake, this one was natural, We made a trekking there and eat trout fish for lunch, which was made by a local family and catched in this lake. It tasted great.
    Read more