Satellite
  • Day 4

    Road Trip!

    July 26, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    Mr Sunny was out today! We decided to see some of the surrounding sights. First stop was the Women’s Rights National Historic Park in Seneca Falls where the 1848 Women’s Rights Convention was held. I have to say that I was underwhelmed. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but it was not well done - sadly. Quotes were mismatched with with historical photos of other women. The nearly life-sized sculptures of some convention attendees were places in the middle of the floor with no note about who was whom and even why the statues were there. Disappointing. I got a copy of the Women’s Declaration of Sentiments modeled after the Declaration of Independence to read. I’m still glad I went as I have thought about going for a long time.

    We stopped for lunch at this amazing old-fashioned diner called Connie’s Diner. Very kitschy. Most of the clientele fit right in. They had photos of famous people and old movie and tv posters. The food was pretty good and very inexpensive. Good times.

    After lunch we drove up to Chimney Bluffs State Park on Lake Ontario. This strange landscape of skyscraper-tall mounds of clay embedded with smooth river rocks are slowly eroding leaving jagged spires and pointed towers. It was beautiful and puzzling looking. Glaciers dumped a pile of this debris, and water has carved out these sculptures in the sky. I was a bit torn whether to look down at the stones or up at the formations. It was fun to walk along the lake’s edge with Renate, Leon and Sylvie.

    It was getting hot so we drove back to the house with a quick stop at Harriet Tubman’s house. It seems that there are very many famous people from this area. I loved driving through the little towns and villages with the east coast architecture and gardens. My hosts are a font of knowledge about the history and who’s who around here.

    We took a quick break at the house before heading back out to visit with Lee and Renate’s son, Jules and his wife Jean, and Ollie at their house. Jules and I have been connected for a little while on Facebook but have actually never met. He is into bicycling, makes beer, and loves the forest. It was a treat to finally meet and chat. Jean is the City Forester for Ithaca. They are a lovely couple. They will be joining that gang at the end of my east coast trip on the Cape.
    Read more