Satellite
  • Day 9

    Another Lake Day and Carefree Acres

    July 31, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    Everyone went home yesterday, so it’s just me and my dad and his wife, Chris. After a quiet morning, I took a walk up to Carefree Acres, a bungalow colony where I spent summer days swimming, playing games, finding first boyfriends and girlfriends the way that kids do.

    It was mostly deserted with only Pearl and Stanley, now in their eighties holding down the fort. Ivy, their daughter and her husband Jason were there too. Nice to visit with folks who knew me when.

    Ivy reminded me of trips she would lead with all the kids down to the waterfall about a quarter mile away to climb around. We were wild. No adults around. Ivy was about 12 and was the oldest. Different times.

    I stopped in on the kosher bakery. Take a look at their black and white cookie. Also on the way back I noticed the wetlands behind my grandparents’ house in town (now an apartment building). Lots of bird life and flowers.

    After lunch I gathered my dad and Chris to get to Kauneonga Lake with a nice, easy walk in to the water. Dad did a little swimming. Oddly, they wanted to sit at the back of the parking lot about 100 feet from the water. Ok.

    It was nice to have a relaxing day.
    Read more