Satellite
  • Day 11

    Arrived in the Big Apple

    August 2, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    It rained my last day in Swan Lake so I got a chance to nap, read and do laundry - getting ready for my New York adventure.

    I met up with Arif Khan, an old friend and bike advocate. He and his lovely wife Sabeen own the Hoot Owl restaurant in Pine Bush, NY not far from where Arif grew up. We had a delicious chicken curry lunch then broke into their new home (Arif forgot the key). Sabeen is an architect so has grand plans.

    The restaurant is doing well - partly because of the new Jehovah’s Witness facilities nearby. Thousands of “pioneers” come to Wallkill for training. Arif asks them lots of curious questions - which has endeared him to the resident JWs. My brother, Michael, had waxed eloquent about his training there. He is a full-time “pioneer” himself. I’ll have to tell him about the restaurant. It was fun swapping our stories and all the twists and turns. I left vowing to return to spend some more time with these wonderful people.

    The drive was ferociously wet. I took it slow, but it really was coming down. I was thankful for a good music system and Google directions. And I found parking right in front of the place I am staying! OMG! I couldn’t believe it. It got crazy humid and hot towards evening: I'm thankful for the air conditioner. I dropped the car off and headed out to take in the sights. I happened upon Rockefeller Center (pronounced it Rock-a-fella). I got myself a pretty darn good mojito and Ropa Vieja from a Cuban restaurant. Yum.

    Tomorrow I meet up with my friend Bob Dardano to continue rediscovering the east coast.
    Read more