Satellite
  • Day 14

    Oopsie! But a Fun-Filled Day in NYC

    August 5, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Summer Streets happens on Saturday here, not Sunday. Sad face. I made it a bike day anyway riding around Manhattan. Hudson River Parkway is beautiful. The eastside, not so much. Bicycling Magazine was either a) heavily bribed; b) highly medicated; or c) out of their minds when they declared New York the most bike-friendly city in North America. Bike lane deserts, routes that end without warning, no detour signs, giant cyclist-swallowing potholes. 1st and 2nd bike lanes were nice but often had wrong-way riding, wandering pedestrians, and turning vehicles.

    I rode for about 25 miles from 87th and East End Ave to the bike rental place in midtown (on a Citibike). Then down the Hudson River Parkway to the tip of Manhattan and back up on the East River side to the top of Central Park. New York has been so gussied up. Getting up to 110th looked more like the Manhattan I lived in.

    I took Central Park back downtown. It is hilly! It was getting hot and tired. But I returned the bike, sat for lunch to cool off, and Citibiked back to my place on 87th.

    I had a few hours to relax and get ready to go to the thee-ate-ter. Saw the Book of Mormon. It was a hoot. It has been a long time since I went to a Broadway play. The theater was pretty small - intimate. The actors all wore mics that gave it a movie-like quality. Loved the singing.

    Good day.
    Read more