Satellite
  • Day 16

    The Cloisters and The Guggenheim

    August 7, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    I don’t remember visiting the Met Cloisters before. I always thought it was too far uptown in too rough an area. Well, I’m glad I went. The medieval art was exquisite. Tapestries, cloisonné, painting, and, of course, the gardens. The garden tour was “meh” but the gardens themselves were wonderful.

    This old monastery is in the middle of a park with nothing close by. Hence, the cafe on sight was wildly overpriced and mediocre for lunch. At least the views were lovely. You get some stunners of the Hudson River nearby.

    Next and last museum for the New York leg of my trip was the Guggenheim and it did not disappoint. The building alone is a sight to see. Gorgeous light and slanted walls and floors. Giacometti was the main exhibit. The audio guide was really interesting. I also went through the permanent collection and two other smaller galleries. I did the whole darn thing!

    I had dinner with an old friend. He was a dancer who went to my performing arts school, Talent Unlimited HS. He went on to dance with several ballet companies and traveled around both performing and teaching. Lots of old memories.

    Tomorrow I’m headed to Margate to visit with my mother-in-law. And get some chocolate. And swim in the ocean. Stay tuned.
    Read more