Satellite
  • Day 23

    Old Friends - Visiting Vicky Funari

    August 14, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    You know those friends who you haven’t seen for years and you get together and it is as if no time or gap exists between you? That describes my relationship with Vicky. We were roommates back in 1981 in northern Virginia when I worked for NOW.

    She and her partner John are both artists - Vicky is a filmmaker and painter - her Haverford College business card says “scholar”. Her work and reputation has helped establish the new Visual Culture Arts and Media center. The campus is just how I imagine an old east coast college would look like: quaint and well manicured.

    I sat (stood) for an early self-portrait she painted. It’s a pretty good representation in likeness and attitude at the time.

    She is currently working on a film about a group of women (age 50 to 90) who do water aerobics together. It tells their stories of strength and transition into being older adults. Resonates for me, certainly.

    We reminisced some and shared our horror that we are fighting the same fights we did 40 years ago! Mostly though we shared our life stories over the last couple of years and what is on the horizon.

    These are the things that have made this trip east so deeply satisfying. I’m getting to know who I am by remembering who I was.

    Next up, DC.
    Read more