Satellite
  • Day 28

    Hillwood House Visit

    August 19, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Another hidden gem in D.C. that I never visited before - Hillwood House. Marjorie Merriweather Post’s father started Post cereal and Postum (coffee substitute that my dad drank until it was discontinued). She bought this elegant Hillwood house and land in northwest Washington and lived their until the 1970s. She went to Russia in the late 30’s and purchased the most comprehensive collection of Russian imperial art outside of Russia. She also acquired an eighteenth-century French decorative art collection. The gardens are incredible with a Japanese, rose, and cutting gardens and greenhouse. After collecting all this exquisite arts, she donated it to the public to enjoy. Pretty spectacular. They also had a collection of Fabergé eggs on-site. Wonderful docent gave a great tour of the details of the place and special stories. The mid-century kitchen and “massage” room with the hair dryer and electric curler are just perfect 1950’s.

    I must say, this had a decidedly “gay” feel. Purple velvet drapes, opulence (or as Bob says - decorations up the wazoo), and my favorite, the entrance pins say “Fabulous”. Need I say more.
    Read more