Satellite
  • Day 58

    Ludlow Day 4

    June 5, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    We started today by going into town to have a look at Ludlow Castle. On the way we called in to Dinham House which is next to the castle walls. This 18th century house is being used as a shopfront for slow combustion heaters, but has been set up like a museum so people can wander anywhere within the house. We had a good look around even into the basements.
    The Castle was well worth a look. Even though it is a ruin, there is enough left to give a good feeling of how it would have been when in use. The views from the towers over Ludlow and the countryside were impressive. We followed up with a visit to the Green Cafe on the edge of the Teme where a lemon scone with lemon curd and clotted cream was enjoyed. Yum!! We vowed to come back for lunch later in the week.
    Later in the afternoon we went for a short drive to see the towns and countryside to the west of Ludlow. First stop was Bishop's Castle which is another nice market town. We then drove on to Clun where we walked up the hill to the remains of Clun Castle. Not much left of the castle but great views over the town and cows in the fields around.
    On the way home we found a nice pub (Hundred House) where we stopped for a good dinner.
    Read more