Satellite
  • Day 76

    Stalkers Day 2

    June 23, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Another big sleep in as we are still finding it hard to keep up the pace. We are trying to slow it all down a bit. Around lunch time we drove to the market town of Uttoxeter. There was a market in the main street selling local food and crafts.
    We then drove to an area where we were told there wa a famous cafe and walk. We stopped at the Ramblers Retreat for lunch. Quite good.
    After lunch we went on a scenic walk from the cafe. Unfortunately we found we can go the wrong way even when walking. When we got back from what was a very nice walk, we looked at the map and realised we had gone on a different walk to that intended. Hope we'll have time to do the "actual" walk later on.
    On the way back we stopped at the town of Alton where there was a beer festival and market in the main street. There was another Pugin church here which was very beautiful and less decorative than the one in Cheadle. The priest there is Vietnamese and he told us how his family had escaped Vietnam in the 80's. Couldn't help thinking what a huge change in his circumstances and how life had evolved it's course for him. The church, monastery and castle are now owned by the church and the castle is used to accommodate disadvantage kids for holiday respite. All good and interesting stuff!
    Read more