Satellite
  • Day 7

    Day 8, Reykjavic

    September 7, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Evening all, so a nice long dock in Reykjavik today, docking at 7am this morning and not leaving until 10pm this evening. Due to all the excitement last night with the Northern Lights and the fact that we were very late to bed, we missed this mornings dock and breakfast in the restaurant as our peepers didn't open until 9am. We wandered upstairs to the buffet breakfast and indulged. We didn't hang about as we wanted to get in to the town for a look around and get a tour to the golden circle. We went in to the town and to the tourist information and booked ourselves a trip to depart at 12.30. We were in a private minibus and there were 12 of us, a nice bunch. The driver was excellent and first stop was to the country park to see where the tectonic plates have divided the US and Europe. We then moved on to the Geysers, natural hot sulphur springs which shoot 100 degree boiling water up to 30 meters into the sky all naturally. They were amazing to see and truly fascinating. We had an hour there before being driven to the next stop the Gullfoss Falls. These were magnificent Waterfalls and get their name because when in the sun a rainbow appears and the word Gullfos means Golden. We were lucky enough to see the rainbow, in fact we saw 2. Moving on we visited Icelands second largest glacier, followed by a smaller waterfall on the Clearwater river which had a salmon ladder before being driven back to the ship via one of Icelands active volcanos. It was a phenomenal trip and a very long day. We were back on board, quick dinner in the buffet and we are now out on deck watching us set sail for St Johns, Newfoundland, Canada. We're all togged up looking to see if we can catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights again, the decks are very full tonight but nothing as yet. Communications will be limited until we hit New York a week on Sunday but I will endeavour to update the blog daily if the internet behaves.

    ** Scrap the last comment, the Northern Lights have come out to play. Captains turned all the lights out on the decks and it's packed and a cracking display.
    Read more