Satellite
  • Day 15

    Day 15, Halifax, Canada

    September 15, 2017 in Canada ⋅ 🌫 16 °C

    The last stop before New York greeted us this morning. I was up early due to not being able to sleep with this full on head cold. I was going to sneak out and have a cuppa on deck but Sharon woke up so we went together. In true arrival style it was very cloudy with no sign of sun at all, however the temperature had crept in to double figures. It was a lovely approach, land on either side with lots to see.

    We went for breakfast in the dining room whilst most people left the ship before leaving it ourselves. The quayside was really nice, very busy as there were 4 ships in but lots of shops, bars and restaurants. We hadn't booked a tour, we were just going to wander around and do our own thing. First on the list was a chemist for for man flu tablets and a few other essentials before Starbucks for some tinterweb.

    As we left the ship there were lots of local guides and maps. We decided to walk up to the public gardens first. They were lovely, very well maintained and vibrant colours. Again lots of reference to the UK, in particular a lot of Scottish references. We saw a few people we knew off the ship up there so had lots of chats on the way around. We then moved on to to "The Citadel", except we had to climb up cardiac hill to get there. Well worth the effort. It was an old fort like place with lots of weapons and Scottish Soldiers still guarding it. It was free to get in as Canada are celebrating 150 years of something, being Canada probably. The views were stunning from up there. There was lots to see and do and you could even fire a real gun, someone did and it was that loud I nearly fired something in to my pants !!

    Things started to change around lunch time, a big hot yellow thing made an appearance in the sky. Woohoo, at last. It was lovely to finally have some heat. We walked back to the ship along the waterfront which again was very pleasant. Once back on board I tried to get some sleep whilst Sharon went to look at the tat for Sale in the quayside. It was useless really, this cold really has taken hold. So when she came back we went out on deck to see the sail away. The open decks were very busy mainly due to the weather but as soon as we got out to sea the fog made a reappearance and visibility was back to only a few meters. Only one thing for it, hot tubs. We sat in the tub as it went dark and we said our goodbyes to Canada 🇨🇦

    It's 9.20pm now, we're at the back of the ship having a drink 🥃and we'll be of to bed very soon to try and get some sleep, I've not slept a wink for the last 2 nights so hopefully the tablets we've bought might knock me out.

    It's been a lovely day, Halifax is a nice place to visit. We're now winging our way towards The Big Apple 🍎 due to dock there at 6am on Sunday morning. So we bid you all a good night although it's the early hours of the morning back in the tropical United Kingdom 🌴
    Read more