Satellite
  • 14th January 2018

    January 14, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 3 °C

    I was called yesterday morning at 8am by the gaffer JB asking if I was going to work. Well I was and to my delight there was a full team in today. So Sharon decided she would stay at home and catchup on some of the household jobs that have taken a back seat recently. Rich, Matt, me, JB himself and Director of Operations Jack the dog were the team today and I have to say, what a day, great banter and boy do they work. They have been up in the week whilst I have been at my day job and got the majority of the replacement beams in in the kitchen. Upon arrival Matt was on brickwork duty. He was rebuilding the tops of the walls between the newly replaced joists and filling and blocking underneath them. Rich was on with replacing the joists at the top of the stairs. Upon Mr Bown’s return from gathering supplies he made a start on removing the old lintels from above the windows in what will be the two smaller bedrooms. I made myself available as the general lacky, fetching, carrying and do the simple tasks like screwing the beams up and making tea. Everyone mixed and matched and helped each other and they seemed to get through an awful lot of work. All the beams are now in in the kitchen and the landing, the lintels in the bedrooms have been replaced with new concrete ones, all around the windows have been re-bricked as well as above the front door which will eliminate some draught. The floor in what will be the 2 front bedrooms is now complete as is the floor to the top of the stairs.

    When the real workers left, I decided to try and have a bit of a tidy up and sort out to aid them when they return. The plan on their next visit is to put the floor down in the master bedroom and maybe make a start on the stud walls. Sharon came across and we moved the floorboards that we took up last week down in to the kitchen so they are easily accessible to put down in the living room. Some of them were so long we had to pass them down through the roof in the kitchen. We also made use of all the old boards that were used to board the windows up after the fire, we put them in what will be the loft as that will be a good idea to store the insulation which we intend to order this week. We also tidied up the living room and finished with a good sweep up. Hopefully that will help John and the lads when they go back up as it’s always better when it’s tidy. They can crack straight on and won’t have to bugger about tidying up and making room to work.

    A long day and a late finish for us, gone 6 when we left but a very productive day.

    Today, I went up this morning to measure up for the loft insulation and the insulation in the ceilings downstairs. 2nd & 3rd director of operations (only pipped at the post by Jack) popped up to check on proceedings (Spok and Denise). They can see it changing every time they visit. We then went out to buy a consumer unit for the re-wire and some cable although the cable was out of stock so will get some of that in the week. We have also had some admin work to do which takes longer than you would think. The company “LJM Property Services (Worksop)” has officially been registered with both Sharon and I as directors so we have had to do a few tasks relating to that.

    So all in all a very productive weekend.
    Read more