Satellite
  • Day 13

    Winton

    September 6, 2016 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    Winton is an interesting town with a rich history. It has links with Australia's infamous shearers strike, the birthplace of our national carrier- Quantas , is where banjo patterson penned 'Waltzing Matilda' and has a number of dinosaur remains sites.
    Unfortunately we did not get a chance to visit thise places. Getting out of Birdsville prooved ridiculously difficult with our road out being briefly opened before a car was washed away by rising flood waters and closed agaun. This resulted in us having to take the alternate route which meant traveling an extra 900 km to our trip home. ( originally we were going to travel south through Innaminca, Silverton and Louth. This road may not open for another month). As a result we got into town late last night, organised accommodation and got some food before succumbing to sleep. Some positives to come out of this alternate route are the fact that we got to visit places i haven't been before, like Boulia, Bedourie and Winton. We also got to cross the tropic of capricorn and will cross it again tiday. Another advantage is that we got to see more of the Gibber Plains.

    Gibber Rock
    Most of you would not find this funny but the vastness and amount of these boulder/rocky paddocks has been quite the topic of conversation in the car and perhaps we just like saying the word 'gibber'. I think there is an opportunity to open a Gibber farm- just need to find a use for it. We also picked out a few nice ones and are taking them back as gifts for our loved ones.
    Read more