Satellite
  • Day 16

    "Cervesa, beer. 1 euro." - Beach Pöbles

    July 5, 2016 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    Day 2 in Barcelona! I cannot reiterate enough... i love this city.

    We started out the day by snoozing our alarms... Between the heat and the men throwing metal around outside our window at 6am (what is the purpose?!) ... We needed a little extra sleep.

    After a few rounds hitting the snooze button, we finally got up and started our day. Stop #1 was the fruit market for some much needed fruit breakfast! I had raspberries and a multi fruit juice which was the perfect way to start our day. We then headed out to the hop on hop off bus for our day checking out all of the sites Barcelona has to offer.

    We started out on the orange line: line number 1. On this line we travelled around the east part of the city. We saw various sites and structures (including the port, the beaches and some beautoful towers) but the most amazing stop was the Sagrada Familia. Still under construction, this gorgeous basilica was the masterpiece of the architech Gaudi.. And it truly is a masterpiece. We couldnt get inside because the tickets were already sold out (noooooo) but we took plenty of time to wander around the facade and take in the beauty. I cannot begin to describe how this church looked.. Pictures honestly don't even do it justice. If you get a chance to go... Go.

    Next up, we toured around and saw a few more areas of the city which gaudi had a hand in designing, and learned about the various quarters and thebreasoning behind each of the buildings. Barcelona honestly has one of the most interesting architectural layouts I have ever seen, and it seems like every single block has a reason for existing.

    After heading to the mountain (tibidabo), we came back to the starting point to meet our friend Pheobe for lunch. Now if you guys don't remember Pheobe, she was one of our first roommates in Dublin at the hostel. We added her on facebook befoee she left and have been watching each other as we travel. We just happened to be in Barcelona at the same time, so we decided to meet up!

    We had lunch at this cute place on the Las Romblas strip called Moka, and honestly the food was so, so good. I had a veal burger with all the fixings and a special mushroom based sauce and omg... It was delicious. It was so reasonably priced, honestly we might go back tomorroe. So after an extended lunch just chatting and resting, Pheobe went to check out Sephora (at our recommendation) and we headed out to line #2.

    The second line was a tour through the Olympic village and upper class housing, various castles and churches and epic streets. Our favourite stops, however, were the lookout at the height of the mountain which was absolutely AMAZING for its views. We snuck onto the restaurant patio for a panoramic view (ok, I bought oreo ice cream) and the headed back to the bus for the next few stops. We ended up at Camp Nau... Football Club Barcelona's stadium. Unfortunately, it was closed but hey... We can go back tomorrow!

    After all of the touring, we headed back to our place to grab a bottle of wine and are now sitting on the beach, drinking it and taking in the sights. One more day ahead of us in Barcelona, more adventures await!
    Read more