Satellite
  • Day 20

    Prince Albert (of Monaco)

    July 9, 2016 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    After a much needed rest day, we got up early and headed out on our adventure! After taking full advantage of the shower (again) and finally looking like halfway decent people, we took the metro into the city centre to begin our adventure.

    We started by visiting a tourist booth and he gave us a guide book to the city that included two self guided walking routes. We decided to do the longer one today and headed into the square to see the sights. We began at the statue of the Bear and Tree Strawberry monument which led to a street that house the Royal Academy of Fine Arts. The architecture around here was stunning! Next stop was the Cibeles Fountain and the Cibeles Palace, where we went in to explore for a bit and take in the history. A little further along was the Gate of Puerta de Alcalá - an archway comissioned by King Charles IV to commemorate the many battles waged by Madrid to keep control of the city.

    Afterward, we wandered through El Retiro Park where there were ample opportunities to take some awesome pictures. We stopped by a lake with some gigantic statues surrounding it where people were rowing and enjoying the warm day, and stumbled upon the Glass Palace (which is exactly whatbit sounds like). Near the glass palace was a pond that was absolutely filled with turtles and black swans.... That's right. Black swans. We sat and watched our animal frienda for a bit before we ventured further into the park. Next stop was the fountain of the Fallen Angel (another photo op) and walked out of the park to continue our tour.

    Next up, we strolled throught the Literary Quarter and Museum Quarter which were full of book shops and - you guessed it - museums.

    After the tour, we went home and chilled for a bit before we got ready to go out on thr town with our host, Keri! She was amazing and took us to this local spot where we went to a Bar which served a drink that is half beer half lemon fanta - amazing. I mean so perfect for a hotbsummer night and so refreshing!!! Afterwards, we sat around drinking in the square for a bit while we waited for the clubs to open (at midnight) and Keri took us to this underground rock bar which was so fun. We danced, used sign language and spoke in the worst french you have ever heard (uhhhh, I uhhhh, speak only um. What is it? Oh little. Little english).

    After a few hoirs of partying it up, we headed home where we crawled into bed to get ready for our next adventure.
    Read more