Satellite
  • Day 94

    Te Anau via Franz Joseph Glacier

    January 5, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    On our way south to Te Anau we properly skipped Queenstown. The price of accommodation there is absolutely ridiculous with the busy season in full effect. Every campsite/holiday park that we have stayed in has been fully booked, drunk with a slur of families, pensioners and other young couples from other countries, all transients shuffling in opposite directions, sometimes sharing snippets of solid intel about what to do and see versus not. Along the way we stopped off at Frank Joseph glacier and walked a short trail to the mouth. We have a cruise planned in Milford sound tomorrow morning.

    This country is absolute magnificence. You no longer even bat an eyelid at massive mountains carved by glaciers, rolling hill filled thousands of sheep grazing and running in their awkward fashion, and waterfalls and rapids carving through neighbouring rock shelves, moving the soil so effortlessly. Glaciers arise from nowhere, trees consume all sight of mountainsides, rising and falling with the earth. Roads that swoop in and out of valleys twist endlessly with ease. Everywhere you look is a postcard. You are the postcard. Just like Beth finishing off her authentic New Zealand mince pie: picture perfect.
    Read more