Satellite
  • Day 19

    A Day in Rome - A Test of Endurance!

    August 24, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Ok so off we set after a great breakfast in the hotel, even had scrambled eggs, a bit upmarket for our travel, but this hotel was booked by the travel agent so we certainly paid for it!!

    Firstly we ended up at something similar to our Shrine, which was a monument to an unknown soldier. The polizia were everywhere making sure you didn’t sit on the steps or the side of fountains. I didn’t want to sit on the edge I wanted to jump in to cool down, but alas that is forbidden. We continued our exploration and finally found the Panthenon which was open and free to explore. What an absolutely stunning building. We listened to an audio that talked about the history of the building and I marvel at how they got the massive slabs of stone and marble into these buildings. Incredible architecture. We stopped after this visit to sample a cold Sangria before moving on to the next place.

    We found the Piazza Navona which has three fountains and is beautiful square with lots of restaurants and bars. Again I was tempted to jump in a fountain but again the fun police were not cooperating.

    We found an exhibition of Leonardo da Vinci’s work and models built from his many drawings, what an amazing man. Must admit I didn’t realise the extent of his brilliance.

    We stopped for lunch in a small square where there was a market and enjoyed the misting fans. I was tempted to spend the rest of the day there, but no we were on a mission. We had a tour booked at 3.00 and had to meet the group at the Piazza Colosseum, and so we figured out the bus and the directions (well Pete actually!) if I did it we would still be lost!

    The heat was stifling as there had been a small rain shower which I happily stood in, but that made the heat even worse. Pete was worried I was going to explode I was so red in the face, but 5 bottles of water, and numerous stops in the shade and we made it around Palantine Hill, the Roman Forum and the Colosseum and it was amazing and worth the struggle. There were a few times (I must admit) that I thought I have seen all this before I will wait in a bar, but I’m glad I stayed with Pete and we got to see these things together. So much history it is hard to take in that some of these things are 2000 years old.

    Everywhere you look there is something historical to see from old viaducts to incredible churches.

    After a really full day we made it back to our hotel and decided to go up to a bar for a drink before going to the room to get ready to go out for dinner. Turned into three drinks and lasagne and salad because we were too exhausted to move. Then back to the hotel for dessert and a nightcap before we fell exhausted but happy into bed! Ah Roma!
    Read more