Satellite
  • Day 29

    The Next Paradise

    September 3, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    It’s always good when you don’t have an early start. We enjoyed our last breakfast on our balcony and then returned our hire car and got a lift to the port to catch the ferry to Syros. It was and amazing ferry so different to the ones I caught 35 years ago. One thing isn’t different, they serve crappy food!

    We arrived at the port of Syros and were immediately aware of how different this place was to Santorini. About a third of the tourists in town and really gorgeous small cobbled streets and lovely buildings.

    We met Kostas our Air BnB host at the town hall and he helped us carry our heavy bags up 145 stairs, thank goodness! We arrived at Villa Maria and were really glad we moved to this island, the room is beautiful and we have a great balcony overlooking the town and port. Felt very relaxed from the start.

    Didn’t take us long to set out exploring and first stop was a small cafe that served homemade sangrias so of course we had to sample them. Cafe overlooking the local swimming spot and town. We dragged ourselves away and went and found a supermarket for some breakfast supplies and took them back to our BnB.

    We headed out to find a place for dinner recommended by Kostas and found one of them that was a locals place and we ordered way too much food but it was all yummy!

    It had been a long day so we managed to find our way back and went to bed. Only thing was the movie playing down in the square was so loud that if we could seen the screen we could have watched it for free. We are amazed at the difference between the two islands and definitely prefer Syros.
    Read more