Satellite
  • Day 199

    24 hours of happy

    January 29, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Having rented a car for 24 hours, we decided to make the most of our freedom on Mexico's highways. We started mid day, so after a half day at a water adventure park in a natural lagoon / inlet, we obviously had to see the sunset in a little fishing town and then get up at 4:30 to catch the sunrise at the Mayan ruins of Coba :)

    The water park was fun and since it was quite cloudy, not busy at all. Chloe's highlight was certainly seeing manatees (the thing that looks like a rock in picture #2 ;) ). Our overall highlight of these adventure filled 24 hours was definitely the ruins of Coba though. We got there just in time for sunrise and were on our way, biking to the main temple as soon as the gates opened. We had the small pyramid for ourselves close to half an hour before other tourists got there. These places from the Mayans are quite fascinating, but for me personally also a bit strange to visit. To think there were numerous human sacrifices performed on the top of this temple, and the "altar" stands there to this day...

    But the view over endless thick jungle is not diminished by that!! And after a fun morning, we brought back the car just 25 minutes over our 24 hour rental :-)
    Read more