Satellite
  • Day 9

    A Busy Sydney Day

    November 22, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 22 °C

    Up and out early this morning - the sun was shining and we walked from our place back over to the Opera House area and had a coffee at one of the outdoor restaurants while waiting for the hop on/hop off bus to come by. (Oh, and another 10 minute rainstorm just as we left the cafe!!). Got on the bus around 9:30 and began the hour and a half tour around the city. We drove by the beautiful Botanical Gardens and Hyde Park which are two lovely green spaces in the downtown area of Sydney. Lots of old buildings (well, old for Sydney) and points of interest, with an excellent commentary along the way. We stayed on the bus for the whole tour, and picked out the places we wanted to “hop off” on the next tour around! We got off near our hotel to grab our rain jackets - just in case - then got back on the next bus. We stopped at the Sydney Fish Market - huge place selling every kind of fish imaginable, and lots of places to eat lunch - which we did! There was also a great view of the Anzac Bridge from there, so photo opps! From there we walked across the Pyrmont pedestrian bridge into Darling Harbour, a lovely area with lots of boats, shopping and tourist attractions. I’ve always wanted to cuddle a Koala Bear, so we were going to go into the Wild Life zoo, until we found out you’re not allowed to touch or hold these cute critters ☹️. We then walked up the street a ways to the Sydney Tower Eye and rode the elevator up 250 metres to enjoy a stunning 360 degree view of the city.

    Leaving the tower, we walked to Hyde Park to see the Anzac memorial and reflection pool, and St. Mary’s Cathedral across the street, then hopped back on the bus and back to our hotel. Busy day with lots of walking (over 14km), so we had a rest before heading out for a nice dinner in our neighbourhood, then back to get a well deserved nights sleep before another busy day tomorrow!
    Read more