Satellite
  • Day 42

    Christmas Down Under!

    December 25, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    We were happy to wake up on a Christmas morning to sunny skies - especially after last nights torrential downpour! We opened our presents over coffee and Baileys and were thrilled with this lovely Christmas ornament from Tammy and Dave (and the Starbucks cards of course!!). After calling family back home with Christmas greetings, we went for a walk in the sunshine along the Mercury Bay waterfront. We went by a house that we recognized as the Airbnb our friends Anne and Glen had stayed in, and the owner happened to be in his yard, so I introduced myself and sent him Christmas greetings from Canada! He was thrilled, and even invited us back for a visit while we’re here - such friendly people these Kiwis!

    We came back and had a great Christmas breakfast, then decided to go for a drive out to Coromandel Town, about 45km from here. Made our way along more twisty, windy roads, stopping at lookouts along the way for photos and some great scenery. Had a look around Coromandel - some neat old buildings - then headed back to a Whitianga for some pool time!

    We had picked up all the fixings for a nice steak dinner, so got everything prepped and went for a stroll around town - getting back just before the rain started again! 😳. Had a delicious dinner then watched more Christmas movies before turning in for the night! Supposed to be hot and sunny tomorrow so fingers crossed! Merry Christmas everyone!
    Read more