Satellite
  • Day 27

    The Tapada Nacianal Park

    October 29, 2021 in Portugal ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    This morning I woke up really early, 6am for some reason and the weather was set to be crap for the whole day.
    Once again the weather man had it wrong and by sunrise, 8am, what little rain we had,had was clearing and I was out shooting the Vasco de Gamma bridge again.
    We couldn’t believe how the people in Lisbon lived. The car park we had slept in was free, and set in the most beautiful park set under the bridge. There were public football pitches, glass walled tennis courts and a wooden boardwalk that run the whole length of the river that everyone could walk or run on or even bike.
    Even late last night as I was shooting long exposures at 10pm teenagers were walking arm in arm together down the boardwalk. It really is a city of fitness.
    We stayed in Wanda until 11am and after having breakfast we set off down the boardwalk to find the cable cars.
    Then we took the 10 minute cable car ride over the river viewing the marina front and the city behind until we landed the other side of the marina. And then we just walked for an hour. Had a light lunch, killed some time and took the cable car back.
    We were really impressed with Lisbon.
    From Lisbon, we took the A21 to Maifra, and the tapada National Park. It was raining but only gently and it was on and and it was still warm so we decided to take the blue walk of 5km through the old hunting grounds of the Maifra palace. It was a beautiful walk and we saw hundreds of deer, wild boar and even a treecreeper and what made it better was the fact we had the whole place to ourselves.
    Just as we reached Wanda it started to rain and the wind started to get up, we took a 15 minute drive through the hilly town and found our camp spot for the night. Free of charge at the Maifra palace. We squeezed Wanda inbetween 6 Dutch motorhomers and settled in. It was getting very windy and the rain was now lashing down and Wanda was rocking. It was going to be an exciting night.
    Read more