Satellite
  • Day 22

    Back in Arizona

    October 29, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 3 °C

    This is an attempt to find something else good about Arizona besides the Grand Canyon.
    With my first ever trip here back in my twenties I had gun pulled on me in Phoenix so I’ve maintained a fairly low opinion of the place ever since then but you can’t let one bad experience taint your opinion so I’m back to give it another go.

    Unfortunately it hasn’t gone too well the second or third time either.
    Clearly avoiding Phoenix we made the effort to exit the interstate to try out a few other towns only to find staying in truck stops metres from the highway has more appeal.

    Probably the best one is just over the state border. As well as a truck stop, named Speedies Truck Stop is has the Indian Arts and Crafts Centre where they sell pretty much everything which is good for tourists as you want to take home something special to remember the place by.
    Now having a good look around I thought this is the place for me though I ran into a little trouble with what I wanted to buy.

    If you look at the photo of this tourist trap the signs on the store clearly read STORE WIDE CLEARANCE and EVERY MUST GO so I took them at their word and said I want to purchase the yellow horse on top of the building and being a hard bargainer I wanted a pair of sunglasses thrown in too, for the horse not me.

    Sadly the yellow horse purchase didn’t go well though I look on the whole experience as an educational one, instead of my horse I gained extensive knowledge of some very colourful Indian language.
    Read more