Satellite
  • Day 27

    Sequoia National Park

    November 3, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    You know we have been had.
    From my first trip here to our last couple we believed and have been telling people we’ve seen the Sequoia trees when all we saw was those damn imposters the Coastal Redwoods.

    Admittedly the Coastal Redwoods are taller but so what, you can’t see the tops of stuff that gets that tall anyway but the the Sequoias are bigger because of their sheer mass.

    This is the President, a 3,200 year old Sequoia and has rarely been captured all in one photograph because of its size. It’s part of a grove called the Congress Grove which is a 3klm forest walk through hundreds of Sequoias many over 2,000 years old.
    The size of these trees is hard to comprehend and also to portray in any photographs, they just didn’t capture the enormousness of them so we stopped taking pics, any we took were disappointing so gave a false impression of them and the forest.

    I’ve seen and been impressed by big stuff. Skyscrapers in New York, Mount Rushmore takes you back a bit and there ain’t no finer bit of erosion on the planet than The Grand Canyon but the Sequoia Forests top the list of things I (we) have ever seen and now have been lucky enough to have wandered amongst.
    In any photo you can’t see how they tower above and how thick and massive the trunks still are at 150 feet high and more before they start to taper in.

    The Sequoias, you MUST see them for yourself.
    Read more