Satellite
  • Day 13

    At a Roadside Truckstop

    September 30, 2019 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    We’re prepared to pay for our corn but baulk on accommodation so we are being lulled to sleep by the squeal of tyres and the scream of truck engines roaring down the highway.
    You’ve got to balance stuff up so after two peaceful nights at some really good campgrounds, on Lake Erie and then Lake Ontario that have the sound of surf on the shore we’re back to the normal diesel dives we stop at.
    The others places we stayed at we walked along the shore of the lakes, here we think about how we walked along the shore of the lakes and we stay up as late as possible to get as tired as possible so above all the noise we might be able to get some sleep.

    Australians are like fungus, they seem to get into every corner of the world so we are surprised that some people we meet here have never met any of our two headed species before, sorry I’m mixing us all in with Tasmanians.
    This happened with a roadside store owner. After talking to him for a fair while he says. “so you folks from round here” what the....y’all don’t hear accents. “Crikey, is this bloke coming the raw prawn or what” well that how we feel like talking as well as putting on a blue singlet, stubbies and wearing football socks with our Blundstones, I mean we all have to be good ambassadors for our country.

    Thinking back to Lake Erie, we stayed near a town called Geneva On The Lake that seems to attract bikers and old fools who can finally afford a Chevrolet Corvette. They drive around town with the tops down which is a big mistake because it gives their age away and at ninety you don’t look cool, all that new glossy paint and shiny chrome is too much of a contrast and shows up too clearly the toll life has taken on you.

    In Ohio and some other states you don’t have to wear bike helmets and this is for motor bikes not those dinky trike laws we have back home so you see old fools who can finally afford a Harley and young fools who are obviously helping Columbia’s economy along riding huge bikes at high speed not looking at the road but at who’s looking at them.
    Back home we call bike riders organ donors and we are probably luckier because amongst the smorgasbord at least there is a good chance you could salvage a brain an a few eyes but here you’d be limited to a few internal organs and maybe an arm or two if you could find them.

    All these new bikes and cars made the place seem like a millionaires row especially with some of the beautiful lakefront houses so curiously we looked the house prices up on the net thinking they’d be in the millions. We saw places for under $100,000 and brilliant ones from $200,000 to $300,000.
    These lakes are so big they do get surf and there are seagulls there... so just thinking, hhmmm.
    Read more