Satellite
  • Day 4

    Day in Krakow

    October 14, 2018 in Poland ⋅ 🌙 12 °C

    Today we had a full day in Kraków. We went to the 9 am mass at St. Mary's Bascilica. Poland is a very strong Catholic Country with a deep reverence for Pope John Paul II. The mass was 100% in Polish but we could understand a couple of things from our Ukrainian Background and going to Ukrainian Liturgy, from the sign of the cross,to Alleluia, and to first few words of Our Father . The old priest gave a passionate sermon, however , we did not understand It but his actions were amazing. The church was beautiful and it was a joy to start our day that way .
    Immediately afterwards we had booked for a " Free Walking Tour of Old Town Kraków." The tour is operated by a company called Kraków Explorers and they have a suggested price you pay at the end whatever your budget can afford. Our tour guide Eugene was excellent . He is from Ukraine and left when the war broke out 4.5 years ago. We toured all around and learned so much about the old town. The Kraków 1/2 Marathon was on so walking around proved to be a challenge. I kept looking for Brett to see if he was in the lead pack.
    We were so impressed with the tour, after a perogie lunch which the restaurant was next to our hotel, I changed my shoes and we headed back for the afternoon tour of the Jewish Quarter with Eugene. He was great. We saw and learned so much about the Jewish people in Kraków and we saw a couple of film sites from Schindler's List.
    The evening we went to a Chopin Piano recital near the main square. The pianist was younger than Tyler and he played 9 pieces. The Chopin Ballade and the Mazurkas were my favourites.

    After over 26,000 steps today we were back at our hotel.
    Read more